Fwd: application control of pre-allocation

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 02:13:36 GMT 2007

Amit,
What is the exact fallocate syntax?  I was having trouble deciphering
the pieces of the raw man page source and related thread that I saw on
lkml

I am trying to decide if this is a trivial mapping to cifs transact 2
(to send over the network to e.g. a file mounted from a Windows or
Samba server)

jra,
Are you assuming that this is simply a call to
SMB_SET_FILE_ALLOCATION_INFO2 (level 0x3fb)?  If so this may be easy
but I was not sure if the syntax matched. Interesting that on the
server side although there aren't any calls to this new sys call yet
in Samba of course, it looks like Samba source/smbd/trans2.c in
function smb_set_allocation_info could handle this efficiently on some
OS - through overriding in vfs_allocate_file_space (source/smbd/vfs.c)