Samba 3.0 - Bug preventing mkfifo as non-root

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:20:49 GMT 2007

On 1/22/07, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:01:43PM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> >
> > The saga continues... I just updated my FC6 Xen VM install, and there
> > was a kernel update, from a 2.6.18 something to a 2.6.19 something. More
> > importantly, the cifs module in kernel 2.6.19 is version 1.46. Despite
> > this, creating the fifo fails.
> >
> > So what am I doing wrong? It works for you on client version 1.46 with
> > server 3.0.23d. I have same versions installed. I believe the mount
> > command I use contains no strange things and my smb.conf is very simple.
> >
> > Any pointers gratefully received.
>
> Send me an ethereal trace and smbd debug level 10 between client and
> server of
> the initial mount, and then typing :
>
> mkfifo foo
>
> in the mounted directory.

Okay, done.

What I have discovered so far is that if I mount the share with:
# mount.cifs //localhost/test /mnt/test -o setuids,user=cifs
Creating a FIFO with mkfifo fails. If I instead mount the share with:
# mount.cifs //localhost/test /mnt/test -o user=cifs
Creation of the FIFO succeeds, but the owner is then set to root, not the
user that executed mkfifo. The problem seems to be the 'setuids' option that
prevents this from working. Unfortunately, we need to use the 'setuids'
option.

I hope that the attached info will help to pinpoint what is going wrong, and
I am looking forward to hearing your analysis.

Thanks!

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>