svn commit: samba r20966 - in branches: SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd SAMBA_3_0_24/source/smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 23 04:55:34 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 20:51 -0800, James Peach wrote:
> On 22/01/2007, at 8:45 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 04:12 +0000, jpeach at samba.org wrote:
> >> Author: jpeach
> >> Date: 2007-01-23 04:12:51 +0000 (Tue, 23 Jan 2007)
> >> New Revision: 20966
> >>
> >> WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?
> >> view=rev&root=samba&rev=20966
> >>
> >> Log:
> >> Only attempt to reload the config file atfer the fork point if we
> >> are in daemon mode. If we are in inetd mode, there's really no point
> >> in rechecking it so soon.
> >
> > Other than the old build farm setup (do we still use that part?) Who
> > runs smbd in inetd mode?
>
> In certain configurations on Mac OS X, it runs from launchd using
> launchd's inetd compatibility mode. If the samba inetd code was
> deprecated, I wouldn't be that disappointed, I believe that there's
> an API where you can check in with launchd after daemonising.

For smbd, I think the issue is the background print queue monitor.  nmbd
doesn't work to well from inetd, due to the multiple UDP ports etc.

The main point I'll make it that it just isn't tested very often.  That
said, it is nice not to have smbd in memory, if the machine may never
see a CIFS packet...