Samba 3.0 - Bug preventing mkfifo as non-root

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Jan 21 21:34:10 GMT 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 09:20:29PM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > 4253
> > 4254                                 if (tran_call ==
> > TRANSACT2_SETFILEINFO)
> > 4255
> > return(ERROR_DOS(ERRDOS,ERRnoaccess));
> > 4256
>
> This is where it drops out.

So the version of the client you're using is sending
a trans2 call with level TRANSACT2_SETFILEINFO (0x8)- which
requires a 16-bit fnum, not a unicode path name.

The level required is TRANSACT2_SETPATHINFO (0x6)
as this sends a pathname.

Obviously if we have no pathname we can't do a
mknod call which requires a pathname argument.

This is a client bug of some kind - one I'm not
seeing in the latest CIFSFS client code.

Jeremy.