[SAMBA4] Towards another TP?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 3 04:37:18 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 04:55 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:07 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I would like to push Samba4 towards another technology preview:
> >
> > While it hasn't been the most active of time periods since I cut the
> > last TP back on September 30, I think there has been enough work that we
> > should refresh the TP release of Samba4.
> >
> > My aim is to do this for release at Linux.conf.au again, during the week
> > of Janurary 15 this year.   I want to include:
> >
> > - the SWAT GUI work (I understand it should settle down a little by this
> > point)
> > - Metze's improved join work
> > - the DRSUAPI work Metze and I have been doing
> > - the 'faster' ldb
> > - the directory-based PDC/BDC split
> > - Mimir's libnet work
> > - a new Heimdal snapshot (hopefully with full PAC hooks upstream)
> > - use Clear LDAP by default
> > - hopefully Tridge's experimental AIO work
> > - my ldb_map cleanup
> > - mkhl's proposed ldb_map patches
> Sounds good. What kinds of things do you think need to be fixed before
> the TP?

SWAT:  We need the new SWAT integrated with authentication, and the old
scripts.  Derrell assures me that is on his plans.  Also build
portability etc.

Testing:  I spent way to long on the last release because things like
the vampire code were just busted:  These need testing, and we need
automated windows testing to cover it between manual tests

Domain Joins:  Metze's new join work needs to be integrated, so we
always use the new join (we remove the bits that do a replication with
the join, and integrate it).  This should make it almost possible to add
the RPC-CRACKNAMES test in.

RPC:  If I run 'TEST_LDAP=yes make test', then the RPC-LSA test
segfaults, due to a timeout.  We should at least fix the timeout
segfault, if not the reason for the timeout.

jelmer: Perhaps you can chase this one down?

Heimdal:  Love has given me a PAC patch, and once we work on an
agreeable form for that, and the couple of other things in the diff, we
should almost be at 'drop heimdal tarball here' stage.

Release Notes:  We need them written for this release, and some things
cleaned up from the previous ones.

> > and maybe I'll even test PK-INIT with this setup!
> How do you have that working? Using PKCS#11 cards and heimdal or some
> other combination?

That's the aim.  It should work, I just need to set up the server-side
to make my PKCS#11 cards more than expensive keyrings :-)