[SAMBA4] SWAT2 maintainer?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 31 23:23:43 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 16:35 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 31.08.2007, 10:43 +1000 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> > Alternately, is there another web-based LDAP browser we could encourage
> > users to use (such as phpLdapAdmin)?
> >
> > On the flip side, should we make this aspect of SWAT an external project
> > - it would seem useful well beyond Samba4, why lock it up?  Perhaps it
> > could attract more and useful developer attention elsewhere?
> That may not be such a bad idea. I think SWAT2 as initially proposed is
> probably a bit too large for a project like Samba 4 with the number of
> developers we have and the amount of work we already have ahead of us.

If we dropped SWAT from the tarball for this alpha release, we could
drastically reduce the 'shock-value' of the release size:

[abartlet at naomi SAMBA_4_0_RELEASE]$ du -k *.tar.gz
4960    samba-4.0.0alpha1-SVN-build-UNKNOWN.tar.gz
9316    samba-4.0.0alpha1-SVN-build-UNKNOWN-with-webapps.tar.gz

We would also avoid promising SWAT into the future, as it remains
completely untested - every time I do a new test on SWAT, I find
something else broken.  But because it's a web app, I can't script the
testing...

Alternately, we could drop SWAT2, and for alpha2 revert to the SWAT code
included in TP1 (which, with a bit of a fiddle, I think I could write
automated tests for).

Thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.