Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue Aug 28 22:11:52 GMT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:43:06AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 13:37 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:33:15PM -0400, simo wrote:

> > > Q3: Have you read my counter proposal about unix charset = auto ? Why
> > > that is not ok for you?

> > Have you ever read this code ?

> > Do you know about "unix charset = LOCALE" ? :-).

> Didn't the debian folks code this up, to solve exactly this kind of
> problem?

Hmm, did we actually write it?  I thought I just pestered until someone on
the Samba Team did it :-)

Anyway, LOCALE is only used as the default for 'display charset', for good
reason; you don't want to accidentally change how smbd interprets on-disk
filenames because an admin restarted the service with a different $LANG
(unix charset), whereas it's reasonable (and preferable) to have
communications with the user (via commandline interaction, logs, etc.) to
take place in the user's currently-declared charset.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/