Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 20:44:58 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 13:37 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:33:15PM -0400, simo wrote:
> >
> > Q3: Have you read my counter proposal about unix charset = auto ? Why
> > that is not ok for you?
>
> Have you ever read this code ?

Yes

> Do you know about "unix charset = LOCALE" ? :-).

I didn't remember this, but it is very good we have it.
It is just a matter of making unix charset = LOCALE the default instead
of unix charset = utf8 and your problem is fixed.

Except that changing the default may really mess up servers where the
locale is wrong but it is not important as all file access happens
through samba.

But distributions can easily add unix charset = LOCALE in their default
smb.conf files.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce