GPOs with current Samba 3??

nathanieljp nathanieljp at msn.com
Fri Aug 10 13:32:47 GMT 2007

Hi,
We are currently using a Samba 3 domain controller with OpenLDAP backend for
our network.
We have quite a few machines (250) and laptops (100), samba is working a
charm for domain logon and providing shared printers however, the management
team (i work for a school) now want to restrict users access to the desktop
and impose security restrictions. Is it possible to import the Samba 4 LDAP
schemas into OpenLDAP? What we need is the ability to use GPOs, so is it
possible to manually create samba shares, import the schema and add ldap
entries to get the clients to use GPOs? I dont need all the fancy active
directory stuff or any of microsofts tools to connect to them as i already
have the GPOs i want to use - i just need the winxp clients to download them
from the samba shares.

Is this possible??
The alternative, unfortunately, is to convert the network to Windows Server
2003 which i dont want to do because of the cost and time it will take to
setup. I would use Samba4, but its still in pre-Alpha?

Any information on this will be greatly recieved,
Thanks.

Nathaniel JP