svn commit: samba r12695 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/scripting/libjs: .

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 8 02:46:31 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 17:32 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:26:15PM +0100, G?mes G?za wrote about 'Re: svn commit: samba r12695 - in?branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/scripting/libjs: .':
> > Jelmer Vernooij ?rta:
> > >Yes, it could be detected and corrected. However, we could only fix this
> > >on the server that is being upgraded - If it is a DC, its domain members
> > > will break because we can't fix the NetBIOS name remotely. If it is a
> > >domain member, it won't be able to access its domain later on.
> > Just my 2c:
> > The cleanest way would be to check for that kind of names before doing
> > any modification, and if any found drop an error message to the admin
> > explaining the phenomen and giving the steps she/he needs to perform
> > before a successfull migration and then exit.
> I don't think we should forbid dots in NetBIOS names at all - forcing
> users to change their NetBIOS domain name will require them to rejoin
> all their workstations and possibly change other things as well. I
> don't think allowing NetBIOS names will be that much work (if it would
> require any specific work at all) to support in Samba4.

I agree for the NetBIOS domain name, as we have worked hard to separate
that from that DNS name.  However, we should defend against hostnames
that contain a . because it just can't work in the zone file.

We should warn in both cases, but I would argue for a failure when it is
a hostname with a . in it.  This is most likely to be a mistake, as
someone has accidentally entered a FQDN.