Help needed to understand point n print

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Fri Aug 11 12:56:00 GMT 2006

Hello Gurus!

When using a printer that is served by a (samba)server and I replace a
driver file on this server, this file will become updated on the client PCs.
I've two questions about this:

1st: What makes the client recognize, that a file has been updated? I
know, that the client compares all the files but what lets him do so?
Time schedule or this magic "ChangeID" printer data value on the server?

2nd: The update seems to happen randomly. But when I open the property
sheet, it's a good bet, that the file will become updated instandly.
Does any one know how this is done by the client?
The replaced file is definitly in use (e.g. by the property sheet
itself). And this should prevent copying the file to the driver directory.

Background: (why this questions aren't off topic)

I work on a generic way to make local printers behave like PnP network
printers. The goal is to enable the features that the drivers perform by
using the print processor without loosing central security and driver
management.
These features (e.g. Watermarks) are currently not usable with network
printers on samba servers.

I'll appreciate any help.

bye,

~ Martin