Locking database cleanup?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Apr 5 14:19:54 GMT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:20:22AM +0400, Alexey Lobanov wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A quite simple sutuation. One SMBD servicing one user said "segfault"
> (e.g., because of CUPS interaction problem) and died. Yes, we are in
> Brave Robust Unix World, and one daemon death does not affect other
> daemons and remote clients. But... the locking database still contains
> records related to this non-existent PID, and any new attempts to use
> same files fail. The affected share becomes completely unusable until we
> restart the *whole* Samba subsystem, killing open files of all the other
> innocent clients. Welcome back to the monolythic server.
>
> Is this behavior normal for Samba 2 and 3 architecture? Or I do not
> understand something?

You're not understanding something. As part of the validation
process when reading a record containing open and locking info,
we validate the pid associated with that record by sending it
a zero signal. If we get an ESRCH (no such process) error back
we delete the record.

So long as pid's don't wrap this should be robust.

Jeremy.