changes to .tdb files lost

Pierre Filippone pierre.filippone at retail-sc.com
Thu Sep 8 15:17:29 GMT 2005

Hi,

just one or two questions regarding the .tdb files.

I made various policy changes via "pdbedit" and "net rpc rights". After
samba (3.0.20 as PDC with ldapsam) stop and rebooting the server, all
changes were lost.

So I switched off the disk controller's write cache, turned off journaling
(ext3->ext2), made the changes again and checked the results with "tdbdump
account_policy.tdb", "pdbedit" and "net rpc rights list". All changes
(seemed to be) in there. Then I stopped samba ( kill -15 ) and rebooted
again. Changes lost again.

The same happened to a password change of the ldap admin user in
secrets.tdb. The reboot was approximately one hour later, as far as I
remember.

The only way I have found to make the changes persistent is "tdbbackup
account_policy.tdb; mv account_policy.tdb.bak account_policy.tdb".

So here are my questions:
- In which intervals are the tdb files flushed to disk, especially
account_policy.tdb ?
- Shouldn't the changes be synced to disk at least when samba is properly
stopped ?
- Is it generally safe to install the tdb files on ext3 with journaling
turned on ?

I read somewhere that Guenther Deschner made some patches to move those
policies to LDAP but I guess they did not make it into the release. Is it
planned to do that in the near future ? If so, I would probably wait
before upgrading my domain controllers to the recent version.

Would be nice, if somebody could give me a hint.

Thanks,

Pierre Filippone