Which Samba (CIFS ?) For HPUX 11.00 ?

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Tue Oct 25 18:23:23 GMT 2005

[Sorry to bother everyone with this - it just seemed like I probably
need to reach any HP staff we have here on the list - everybody else
just press Delete]

I've just inherited the sysadmin role for an HPUX 11.00 / PA-RISC
machine, which is running Samba 2.2.8a (!) but not very well - they want
me to sort Samba out .... and I'm wondering:  which is the "best" Samba
for such a system ?

The last time I admin'd HPUX was at 10.20, but I'm aware that HP were
going to create an official supported product for HPUX 11.x, based on
Samba and called "CIFS".  I've surfed around *.hp.com but all I can find
are highly general product descriptions, and faqs - nothing definite
about CIFS, or what Samba version it might be based on.

I note that http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/hp/ only has
3.0.14a as the latest binary, and I know you guys have fixed an ocean of
things since then.

Is CIFS the "best" Samba for HPUX, or would a vanilla 3.0.20b be better
?
If best=CIFS, where can I get it ?
Is there a downloadable CIFS that keeps up-to-date with the latest Samba
V3 ?

Thanks - sorry for the interruption - reply off-list if this is too OT
... or tell me I should use samba at lists instead