excessive SHA1 calls

Love Hörnquist Åstrand lha at kth.se
Fri Nov 25 14:11:44 GMT 2005

tridge at samba.org writes:

> Andrew,
>
>  > I think I just need to store it in the secrets.ldb along with the
>  > password, or make a real keytab, and reference that in the secrets.ldb.
>
> oh, I'd assumed this was the users password, which we normally store
> in sam.ldb. Is this a machine password which is being number crunched
> so heavily?

I assume its the s2k that makes as slow as it does when running under
valgrind. Here is the numbers when running w/o valgrind and then w/
valgrind on a 2GHz Xeon.

aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 string2key 100 iterations time:   2.141516
aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 string2key 100 iterations time: 145.391322

Love