How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 22 11:40:51 GMT 2005

As I try and explore the space surrounding Samba4 and my current
research area in using a Heimdal KDC, I'm looking for feedback on the
idea of 'libkdc'.

That is, I'm wondering if the Heimdal KDC can be placed inside a static
library, with Samba handling deamon startup, and in particular the
sending/receiving of network packets.

The idea I have is that Samba4 could then statically link this, and call
in a point near connect.c:process_request().  This way, Samba controls
details like network sockets consistently across the whole suite, and is
also in a position to 'self configure' the KDC.

The network socket side is important to us because our socket lib
correctly handles things like partial network reads on TCP, where the
current Heimdal code just puts a 4 second timeout.  Likewise we also
have global interface specification across the whole suite.

My hope is that if done well, the Heimdal codebase would still be
intact, and we can continue to share almost all the code between our
branch and the main Heimdal tree.

So, the real question is: Am I insane, and does anybody else know their
way around the Heimdal tree/automake/libtool well enough to describe how
create a new lib?