svn commit: samba r6127 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: include lib libads libsmb nsswitch rpc_server tdb utils

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Mar 30 15:52:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:14:14AM -0500, derrell at samba.org wrote:
> "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:
>
> > derrell at samba.org wrote:
> >
> > | The flag -Wall should be added permanently to CFLAGS, and all warnings
> > | then generated should be eliminated.
> >
> > Derrell,
> >
> > It is defined when you set --enable-developer
>
> There's no reason that I can think of not to have -Wall in CFLAGS all the
> time.  --enable-developer isn't obvious, and for those who don't know about
> that (as I didn't and surely most of the non-team developers don't), errors
> can be missed that the compiler could have caught.  I try to use -Wall in
> everything I work on.  Compilers these days are just too good not to take
> advantage of the bugs they can discover.

The reason generally given is that there are many, many non-developers out
there who download, build, and install Samba from the original sources.
They just want it to work.

Those folks shouldn't need to worry about the types of messages generated
by -Wall.

True, we should be cleaning up all such warnings *before* the code goes
out the door.  Removing -Wall from the default compile is simply a hedge.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org