no root user + smbmount

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 10:18:49 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 07:04 -0300, Rodrigo N Castro Fernandes wrote:
> Dear Samba Support,
>
> 	I have tried to mount a SMBFS with a user (no root), but it alway give
> a the message:
> "...
> teste at host:~> smbmount "//file-server/test" /home/transfer/mnt/smb -o
> username=transfer,password=*****
> libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.

> I've already chmod(ed) the files smbmout, smbumount, smbmnt, mount and
> umount to "4755", but it still doesn't work... :-(
>
> What could be wrong?

The setuid permission on smbmount must NOT be present.  It would be a
security hole, hence why we place that message there.

> Where is "libsmb"?

The library inside Samba that smbmount (and smbclient etc) uses.

> How could i do this?

Only smbmnt and (I think) smbumount may be setuid root, no other parts
of samba may be setuid, because they are not written to be that way
safely.  (I don't know exactly what mount and umount should be, but I
think they are safe).