Dynamic groups (was Samba and groups > 16)

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 8 13:59:29 GMT 2005

Edgar, Bob wrote:
> Forgive my naivety but what is wrong with the following:
>
> try to open/create the file/directory
> if EACCESS {
> 	foreach group in longlist {
> 		addgroup to groups list
> 		try to open/create the file/directory
> 		if success break
> 	}
> 	if failure return EACCESS
> }
>
> The OS is responsible for the permission checking as always,
> the typical case has no additional overhead, and if the groups
> list isn't stupidly long the extra time is minimal.

Alas, the list may be **quite** long, if the site is using
groups the way MS suggests they do.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest