wins and smbd api

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Mar 7 22:21:03 GMT 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:49:56PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:26:25AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:27:42AM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> > > for some strange reason, our wins servers occasionally drop samba
> > > servers out of there name space. to deal with this, I cron'ed a
> > > restart of samba at midnight everynight. This was a quick solution,
> > > but a lousy one.
> > >
> > > I would rather have some way to have samba regularly send name
> > > registration requests to wins. Is there a way to do this?
> > >
> > > barring that, is there some interface I can query on samba before
> > > sending it a kill signal to make sure there are no open files? I would
> > > like a 'gracefull' way to have samba resatart.
> >
> > smbstatus will tell you what files are open - we need to add a
> > smbcontrol interface to allow "graceful" closing of files (although
> > it won't be graceful to the client of course :-).
>
> yes, I know smbstatus will tell me what files are open. however,
> theres a lot of text to parse.  sorry to be lazy but is there an
> option have the output be in more of a stuctured format. text
> interfaces are ok...

While it would be nice to have a clean shutdown/restart, the actual
problem is the WINS server forgetting the registrations.  Windows systems
refresh every 40 minutes (at least, the ones I tested a few years ago
did).  Try changing the refresh frequency on the Samba servers and see if
the problem goes away.  Fourty minutes would be 2400 seconds.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org