WANTED: an updated version of the FileSys::SmbClient perl module

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 1 02:52:21 GMT 2005

I'm a happy user of the FileSys::SmbClient perl module, but am butting
up against some limitations in it.

At work, I use a grossly hacked version of the included smb2www port to
allow remote access to files via a web browser.  This works pretty well,
except that I need to 'pre-initialise' the connections to the remote
server, with username/password in the URL.

This has been worked around in the Samba 3.0.11 release, where a user of
the libsmbclient API can select to use kerberos, or to cancel the
anonymous fallback.  Unfortunately, I'm no perl nor perl-C bindings
wizard, which is why I figured I should put out this 'call'.

The current perl module is built against the old Samba 2.2 API.  The new
API not only allows these flags to be set, it avoids the use of static
objects and is in general better designed.  I would love to see a perl
module match this new API.