Fwd: samba 4: a new configuration system?

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:06:13 GMT 2005

2005/6/23, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher <metze at samba.org>:

> Sebastien Estienne schrieb:
> > hello,
> >
> > I read all your comments, and it seems that most of them were
> > focussing on the backend of the configuration file: how can we store
> > these informations ondisk.
>
> I think we discussed only that because the internal part and abstraction layer
> will be done anyway and that doesn't has effect to our users.
>
> > But i think from a Gui (or anyone who wants to "programmaticaly"
> > configure samba) point of view, the back end is not really important.
> > It will be fine if it's a text backup or an ldiff one, or even a mix of both.
> >
> > We just need a programming api for task that sysadmin  do by editing smb.conf:
> > - add/remove/modify a share
> > - modify/read global settings
> > - etc...
> >
> > And moreover for an external developper, he shouldn't care about the
> > backend of the config file, it should be abstract. Otherwise when he
> > wants to add a share he must check if it's stored in the textg file or
> > the ldb, moreover how can he knows that the share he is adding is not
> > already defined in another backend.
>
> yep
>
> > An other problem is the validation of data. i think validation of the
> > data shouldn't be done in the gui, but in the api (returning an error
> > code).
>
> yep
>
> > And i think that these problems will be faced (and solved) again by
> > the people that will write the webserver gui (swat-ng) of samba 4.
> >
> > So maybe this webserver gui could be split in 2:
> > - a programming configuration Api
> > - the webserver gui that would be a reference for using this api
>
> yep that's the way it will work!
> also our all internals of samba will use this api
So everyone is happy now?
-Developpers have their api to make great tools on top of samba, no
need to try parsing a text file.
-Admins can have any backends their like for their config fil:
text,ldb, ldap or a mix of them.

For me it's great (as a developper and as a sysadmin :))

--
Sebastien Estienne

--
Sebastien Estienne