how does a Linux/Samba host join an exisiting windows domain?

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at samba.org
Sat Jun 11 22:33:17 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:25:25PM -0700, changxun wu wrote:
> I'm a graduate student and interested in how Samba supports windows
> domain protocols. Could any guru please tell me briefly how exactly
> Windows domain protocol works?

There's no brief explanation of how this thing works. This is why it
took so long for Samba to actually start supporting it.

> I mean, how could a new Linux host
> running Samba join an existing windows domain (assuming there is a
> windows domain controller running already)? What kind of messages are
> exchanged between this Samba box and the windows domain controller?

You need to read a lot about MS-RPC and named pipes. I presume we're
talking about NT domains here.

> Or, I'd also appreciate it if you could refer me to some good
> links/documents to read. Thanks.

Again, there're actually no usable documents. MSDN at microsoft might
serve some information, but nothing about how the things gets
transported over the network.

cheers,
--
Rafal Szczesniak