inspired by the web server in Samba 4

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Wed Jun 8 02:52:08 GMT 2005

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

>Can you be more specific? Remember that the alternative is that a
>large proportion of our users don't install SSL certificates at all
>and end up sending their admin passwords in clear text to the web
>server.

That doesn't follow. If you are "doing" SSL then that means you must be
generating self-signed certs. There's nothing to stop you using Apache,
and checking for the presence of a working HTTPS during install, and -
well - generating a self-signed cert for Apache if there isn't.

 From what I can see, there's normally 2-3 autogenerated, self-signed
certs lying around on every freshly installed Linux box as it is anyway
- you could always just grab one of those ;-)

The biggest issue I can see with using Apache or anything else is that
you probably want it to do large actions as root. Getting Apache to run
things as root means setuid CGIs -   mod_php/mod_perl/mod_python support
becomes more convoluted that's for sure.

Still, a small setuid root program that sits behind Apache should be
more secure than having a new Samba service. I mean - it'd be less code
for a start... And all Web-based security issues would be Apache's fault
- not Samba's... [that's it - move the blame! ;-)]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417