CUPS interaction (authentication with LIBCUPS)

Michael R Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jun 6 14:03:26 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Someone sent us a patch for krb5 authentication in smbspool.
> The proces is to use the device URI first, then try krb5, then try
> anonymous IIRC.  The code in the SAMBA_3_0 and trunk branches
> currently.  Just in case you didn't see the previous discussion
> about it on the list.

Right, however even that patch doesn't solve the problem - it only
handles the local case where you are logged onto the print server.
It's definitely a good first step.

What we need is a general proxy-authentication method which works
end-to-end for multiple protocols, not just a localized solution
for SAMBA + Kerberos.

FWIW, it looks like Kerberos will play a part in any solution we
come up with, but first we need to kerberize CUPS and IPP...