wrong password-encoding in python-modules?

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Fri Jul 22 13:45:09 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2005 15:18 schrieb Simo Sorce:
> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 14:08 +0200, Ingo Steuwer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've tried to use the spoolss Python-module to connect to a
> > NT4-Printershare. The password contains german umlauts, which made it
> > impossible to connect.
> >
> > To avoid Codepage-problems, I changed the password to one Character (ä)
> > and iterated from i=0 to 255 doing a python "chr(i)" as password, but
> > none matched.
> >
> > As the routines expect a string (and not a unicode) I expected that one
> > should match. Is this my misunderstanding, or a bug in spoolss-bug/the
> > underlying lib?
>
> have you tried the corresponding utf-8 char?
> I suspect you confuse "unicode" with the specific windows wire format
> UCS-2.
>
> Simo.

Thanks, that's it. Having the password as unicode "pwd" I can use
"pwd.encode('utf8')" in spoolss.openprinter().

Wouldn't it make sense to accept unicode in spoolss, like usual in python?

Ingo

--
Ingo Steuwer       steuwer at univention.de         fon: +49 421 22 232- 0
Entwicklung        Linux for Your Business