suggestion for libsmbclient feature / (SMB URL syntax)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Jan 31 17:04:42 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 04:51:30PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:31:19 -0500
> Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com wrote:
>
> > I added the ?mb option that you mention.  Unfortunately, it violates the
> > proposed standard for the SMB URL:
> >
> >    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crhertel-smb-url-08.txt
>
> Well then jCIFS violates this draft too because the only query string
> parameter jCIFS supports is ?SERVER=1.2.3.4 to override the name service
> lookup but it's not in the draft. I used it to target a specific master
> browser when I was testing NetServerEnumr3 and just left it in there.

There is an ?NBNS= parameter (with ?WINS= as a valid alias) in the draft.
It should be simple to fix that.

...unless you're using ?SERVER= to specify a DNS server.  I don't see any
reason to override the host's own DNS name resolution.

Chris -)-----

crh at umn.edu                  Networking and Telecommunications Services
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"   ISBN: 013047116X