Stability of output formats (net rpc samdump)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 23 21:42:16 GMT 2005

Love,

I just wanted to clarify the discussion that occurred on IRC last night,
regarding the future of the 'net rpc samdump' command, which you want to
use to import users and passwords into a Heimdal realm.

While Samba4 will do many things, I don't think you need to worry about
the output formats of commands changing, where they are designed for use
in other applications.  Certainly, the output of 'net rpc samsync' in
Samba 3.0 will not change (there is just no need), and as long as I have
anything to do with it, we will maintain a compatible interface in
Samba4.  At the most we might change the command name, and by the time
it releases it might have an --output-format= command, I will certainly
try my best to keep these interfaces compatible.

This is the same goal I have with the 'ntlm_auth' suite.  That program
has been rewritten almost entirely, but still has the same interface, so
I can still use Squid and my mod_ntlm_winbind without modification.  I
am careful to do this (where we can say with a straight face that the
interface is sensible and agreed upon), to build confidence in those
programs depending on Samba.