svn commit: samba r4885 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source: include libcli libcli/nbt librpc librpc/idl librpc/ndr

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 21 20:46:08 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 12:39 -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Dang.
>
> Building a client library was on the top of my
> when-I-get-a-minute-to-breath list.  Ah, well...
>
> I do have one started, and it's been a great deal of help to me, but it's
> not far enough along for an nmbd replacement.
>
> Curious:
>
> - Why use IDL?  The packet formats are well-known, simple, and not likely
>   to change.  Hard-coding them might take a little more time and require a
>   bit more careful debugging, but once done they'd be done.

Well, why not?  Samba4's approach is to auto-generate everything we can.
It is faster, but far more importantly it is more accurate.  We know,
with our IDL generated code, that the error paths are all taken care of.
And if we find that we have missed something, we just change the core
routines once.  Likewise, if we screwed up the packet layout, we don't
have to watch the magic offsets later in the packet.

The other thing that tridge has taken advantage of is the ability to
automatically generate very nice debug functions, for each and every
structure.