ldap attribute aliases

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Sat Jan 15 07:31:07 GMT 2005

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Luke,
>
>  > Active Directory also includes some attribute supertypes in returned
>  > output (eg. "name" for the RDN value of an entry).
>
> hmm, ok. We're treating 'name' as a normal attribute in ldb at the
> moment. We should probably switch it to be a generated attribute based
> on the RDN (thats the "relative DN", or leftmost portion of the DN,
> right?)

"relative DN" is correct, but technically, a DN is a sequence of RDNs.
So "leftmost portion" is incorrect.

In general it's a good idea to start by reading the X.500 specifications
before reading the LDAP RFCs. The LDAP specification is extremely
sparse, partly because the design of LDAP is full of holes, and partly
because it explicitly references the X.500 spec. If you jump into LDAP
without understanding the X.500 Directory Information Model and such
basic concepts as distinguished names, you're in for trouble.

--
   -- Howard Chu