LDAP delay when connected DC goes down

Alex de Vaal a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Thu Jan 13 10:22:10 GMT 2005

On Wed 12 Jan 2005 at 18:47, Jeremy Allison wrote:

>> I've sent you an "off-list" e-mail with a log level 10 of winbindd and
>> a document with timestamps of the steps I took in the test (which
>> corresponds with the time stamps in the winbindd.log)

> I don't have it yet I'm afraid.

Hello Jeremy,

I've found the error why you didn't receive my e-mail; it seems that the
samba.org mail server doesn't accept ZIP attachments.
I repacked the ZIP files to TGZ and I've send you again the e-mail
"off-list".

> Also - I may need more than this. If it hangs  then I may need to see
> a gdb backtrace of winbindd at the point you're waiting for a reply.

Printing to a CUPS queue is not "really hanging"... If I look in the
winbindd.log
File I see at the time when I print something from an XP client to a CUPS
queue (when winbind has failover to the secondary configured DC) that a
lot of things are happening.
However, I see every time a delay of around 5 seconds in the communication
Of Winbind while the XP client is trying to "background" print and it looks
like this:

[2005/01/11 14:54:13, 10] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:fill_grent_mem(221)
  fill_grent_mem returning 1
[2005/01/11 14:54:18, 10] nsswitch/winbindd.c:winbind_client_read(470)
  client_read: read 1824 bytes. Need 0 more for a full request.

I think that XP reports an error if in a certain time the "background"
print has not succeeded (normally I get an error after approx 2 minutes).

The thing is that I succeeded ONCE in printing to a CUPS queue from an XP
client while winbind has failover to the secondary DC, but "background"
printing
Of Word took approx 2 minutes 45 seconds and after this time I saw the print
Job appearing in /var/spool/cups, I have a level 10 log of winbind of this
thing
happening also.

When the primary DC comes back online, winbind still keep connected to the
secondary DC (netstat -n reports that too), but printing from the XP client
succeeds then (within 1 or 2 seconds the job appears in /var/spool/cups).

If you need anyhow a gdb backtrace of winbindd, please let me know.

Regards,
Alex