A performance-measurement tool beta

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Jan 1 20:00:41 GMT 2005

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:41:42 -0800
Charles N Wyble <charles at thewybles.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Why don't you put up the beta source online? Let the community help you
> work out the little bugs? That would be the way to do it in an open
> source community right?

No, that's not the preferred way to do it but unfortunately that is all
to frequently the way it is done. If you release something that doesn't
build or doesn't really work as advertised you're basically inviting
people to email you, ask you stupid questions, and submit silly three line
patches. The whole exercise amounts to a lot of churn for everybody. It's
*much* better if the thing builds properly and basically works the first
time (unless the project is huge like Samba4 in which case you don't have
that luxury). It's very important that people have something somewhat
stable to experiment with. That's when interesting things happen.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.