kernel support for open share modes

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Feb 15 23:59:04 GMT 2005

William A.(Andy) Adamson said:
> we are considering providing the kernel NFSv4 daemon with a file system
> interface for OPEN that could be used instead of the POSIX struct
> file_operations->open and which would include deny share bits.

This just made me realize my suggestion about modifying Samba to coordiate
access checks with the NFS lock daemon is by itself not sufficient to
eliminate races with external applications. Your modification would also
be necessary. Then the NFS lock daemon could effectively be Samba's lock
manager as well and provide proper semantics within the kernel for access
checks.

Mike