Samba4 and Heimdal Kerberos dependencies

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 12 01:48:29 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:47 +1100, Luke Howard wrote:
> >On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Luke Howard wrote:
> >
> >> You do want to avoid an OpenSSL dependency, also because Red Hat ships
> >> OpenSSL linked against MIT Kerberos.
> >
> >And OpenLDAP linked against OpenSSL, causing an indirect dependency of
> >OpenLDAP to MIT Kerberos. So if there is parts of Samba4 depending on
> >OpenLDAP then there is more trouble ahead..
>
> My understanding is that Samba4 uses its own LDAP implementation.

We do and we don't.  ldb currently backs onto standard OpenLDAP, while
other areas of Samba use some very early attempts at an independent
client lib.  I just noticed that linking problem, and I think that
compiling against a static Heimdal fixes it, for the price of larger
binaries, but I'm still playing.