Problem with reading file from VFS and Windows

Marek Grac xgrac at fi.muni.cz
Wed Feb 9 20:03:54 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 10:21 +0100, Marek Grac wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm writing database filesystem using VFS in samba. It works but after
>> serious testing I have found that on some server/clients reading files is
>> broken. In smbclient it works but in Win2000 there are first 6 segments
>> missing (in my case 6x80bytes). This is not because of Win2000 because in
>> the other case it works. I have tested it with samba 3.0.8 - 3.0.10 but
>> something is wrong :( When printing segments also to the log file, they
>> are in log file but are missing on windows.
>>
>> Anyone know where can be problem (or give me some pointers)?
>
> Given that I never encountered nor heard of a problem with samba serving
> files, I would say you have a problem in your module. I would make sure
> that you handle correctly all the seek and tell functions, and run the
> samba4 torture suite to see if there is any problem. Probably the best
> thing is to adapt the vfstest utility to do an extensive test of
> filesystem returns (best thing would be to do that in a dual mode using
> posix vfs on one side an your custom file system on other side and stop
> on differences. Such a contribution would be great imho.

I forgot to write one very important thing. Everything works fine when
using linux smbclient, even on this client/server every other function
works too [on my test network everything works, too. but i'm unable to
have same windows configuration]

I'm not quite sure how well is VFS tested [*]. Yes, VFS is very well
tested for modules for auditing, antivirus scanner & similar but all of
them use underlying functions (open, close, ...) on real filesystem. I
don't have anything real underneath just database. I will try to use
tcpdump to find out.

Thanks for response.

[*] problem in VFS (for example opening non-open fd) can break whole samba
server [even shares which don't have anything with VFS]

 					pax, marx
--
[ marek 'marx' grác / gerard ][ Električke, ktorej zmizli koľajnice ]