Credentials code extension in Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 26 00:37:42 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 17:26 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:04:40AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I'm just writing this to the list FYI, and for a bit of feedback from
> > other Samba4 developers.

> > It has been (correctly) suggested that the credentials code has become a
> > kitchen sink, but I prefer to think of it as a growing, significant
> > subsystem ;-).
>
> FYI: You might want to also look at some of the Linux desktop "keyring"
> API's that allow credentials to be shared amongst programs in the same
> desktop session. I know the Samba4 requirements are likely to be a little
> different in that area but it might be worth the effort to see if you
> can design something that will interface easily with other credential
> cache modules.

I'm aiming for the kerberos ccache for the moment, but the callback API
should work quite well for that too.  (The things that ask for passwords
don't care where they came from).    We also use it in the much-maligned
gtk apps ;-)

If you have any references, pass them along and I'll have a look.
Otherwise I can google myself :-)