utmp update for bsd systems (try 2)

Michael Shalayeff mickey at lucifier.net
Sat Apr 16 12:38:58 GMT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Andrew Bartlett:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 07:18 -0400, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
>
> > what is so "wrong" in it for you?
> > maybe we can "fix" it...
>
> I don't like such low-level messing with the utmp file.  How does ftpd
> on the BSDs handle utmp?  This is the modal David Lee used originally, I
> think.
>
> If the login() and logout() apis are not useful (has this been tested?),
> can they be improved by the BSD crew to honour the contents of the
> struct utmp?
>
> Basically, I want anything that avoids doing a write() to those files
> directly.

i think i've figured out the difficult part for you.
if you open the source and read it you would see that
there are whole bunch of functions that use all kinds
of so called high-leel apis to write into utmp that do
exist on many operating systems. this particular function
that is losely aimed for bsd support exists for the whole
purpose for systems that lack such functions.
that is it -- IT MUST BE LOW-LEVEL as you call it.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)