Cannot create fake user root account

Jérôme Tournier jerome.tournier at idealx.com
Tue May 11 21:55:36 GMT 2004

Le Mon, May 10, 2004 at 11:33:36PM -0400, Wolanin, George a ecrit:
> What I am having problems with is connecting the winBlows machines to the
> domain controller.  This is driving me up a wall.  I was following this
> HOWTO: http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/samba-ldap-howto.pdf to the T.  And
> when I get to the point to create a 'fake user root' account which will
> allow the NT workstations to connect I get the following error.

> [root at localhost schema]# smbldap-usermod -u 0 -g 0 root
> Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at
> /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod line 177, <DATA> line 283.

Yes i know this bug. Remove the -g option. This should work:
smbldap-usermod -u 0 root

The bug is not present in the cvs version.
However, before using the cvs version, you should read the Changelog before
upgrading. Specially, i add a new object called cn=sambaUnixIdPool that
store the next uidNumber and gidNumber available when adding a new user or
a new group. When upgrading, this object must be created manually (see the
INSTALL file).
This is usefull for directory with large number of users.
I am not sure that cn=sambaUnixIdPool is the best name for this: any
suggestion is welcome ;-)
--
Jérôme