tdbsam corruption?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue May 4 11:24:39 GMT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:32:41PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:50, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > <snip />
> > pdb_getsampwent: Bad SAM_ACCOUNT entry returned from TDB!
> > :4294967295:
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> What OS is this?

Oh, sorry, forgot to note:  FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE i386

> Are you sure that Samba was built correctly?

Pretty much.  I built it cleanly, and everything else seems to work
fine.

Urrgh!  I see my problem now.  For some reason the path on that shell
wasn't updated, and I was still using pdbedit from samba-3.0.2a
(although before trying to connect, when it worked, I did use the
samba-3.0.2a pdbedit as well...)

(I noticed this after rebuilding 3.0.3 with -g to provide you with a
stack trace, etc., and noticed that even after the rebuild gdb on
pdbedit still complains of no symbols)

> > Yet, connecting to samba still works (authentication succeeds when it
> > should).  Also, smbd does not modify the passdb.tdb file (its
> > timestamp remains older).  But the secrets.tdb file is modified when a
> > user connects - why is that?
>
> Updating secrets.tdb with a new random seed (possibly not required, see
> my post to this list recently)

Will check it out...

> > And why does pdbedit -L not like it (and
> > segfault?)
> >
> > I have the following in my test smb.conf:
> >
> >         passdb backend  = tdbsam
> >         auth methods    = sam
>
> NEVER touch this setting.

Er, why?  (How else do I set the authentication method and
user/group/machine lookup backend?)

Besides, I'm writing a passdb (look up machines in another file) and
an auth (site-local authentication protocol called IDng) module.  Not
related to this problem, though - this is with a fresh install, clean
directories, and no other modules.

> (Well, at the very least, you need 'guest sam_ignoredomain' for a
> standalone server, and you need to know both what the undocumented
> defaults are, and what effect you desire...)

Well, why are the defaults undocumented?  What is the conventional way
to set those things?

I know the effects I desire, I think...  I just didn't know of
sam_ignoredomain, and guest wasn't necessary for me.

However, I added both, now it's:

	auth methods    = sam guest sam_ignoredomain

> Andrew Bartlett

  Thanks,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/