standard_sub_basic() and current_user_info

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 18 21:45:20 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 08:22, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Can someone please tell me if the current_user_info
> struct should still be used in the 3.0 tree ?  It's used
> in some places but not in others and the inconsistency
> is breaking many calls to standard_sub_basic().
>
> I am working on the include = %%[GU].conf bug and just
> need to know the current convention should be.
>
> Note that standard_sub_basic() relies on current_user_info()
> for the %D expansion.

OK.  That's nasty.

I think current_user_info isn't being updated right.  I think the
correct solution is to make as many things as possible follow the vuid
to a the user_struct, and read information from that.  The information
there is accurate - in particular, the 'server_info' substruct is the
place I've been trying to make as accurate as possible.

This information is accurate and maintained because it comes directly
from the passdb, or the info3 on a netlogon.

The root of the problem is that change_to_user() is not updating the
entire structure, I think.  I'm tending to think it shouldn't either.

For %U and %G, grab the smb_name from that same vuid based user_struct.
This will break for 'security=share' games, but I'm starting to care
less and less about getting magic expansions right in those cases...

(There is possibly more work to be done for kerberos logins).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net