i18n question.

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Tue Mar 9 13:13:35 GMT 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:57:33PM +0100, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Alexander Bokovoy <a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net> writes:
> > [...] Samba permits non-canonical UTF-8.
>
> De-composed Unicode doesn't work on Windows at all, I tried that.
Sure. But this is what Samba or rather netatalk should take into account
for interoperability issues when both are running on the same box and
operating with different clients (CIFS and AFP respectively). As I
said before, we have patches for Netatalk to support Samba-like reencoding
scheme which works well with UTF-8 on disk for Japanese cases. My
understanding is that Netatalk developers keep working on more complete
Samba/Netatalk integration in this area but it is far from releasable
form.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/