smbmount japanese codepage conversion failure

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 9 00:14:04 GMT 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Dina Fine wrote:

> Using tcpdump , we noticed that the smb share name is not converted from
> euc-jp to shift-jis(cp932) as expected -> smbserver doesn't recognize
> the share name.

The codepage/iocharset options are used to tell the kernel fs which
encoding to use. But smbmount itself looks (or rather should look) at the
smb.conf settings on the client machine.

If that doesn't help I would like to have a look at the smb.conf from
server and client, as well as the tcpdump if possible. And you didn't
mention the samba version on the client side.

/Urban