i18n question.

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Mar 8 22:12:19 GMT 2004

Simo,

 > I would like to add that this can already be done in samba3, as we have
 > modules support there too and it would be advisable to start now that we
 > have consistent system that works and then port the modules over to
 > samba4.

yes, it can be done in Samba3 but not in a way that actually would be
very useful. Samba3 modules work at the libc/syscall level, which
means that all of the code above that level has already happened with
the "unix charset" before the module would be called.

So for example all of the code that does case insensitive searches of
directories will happen with the internal charset, making potentially
huge numbers of calls down into the filesystem, each of which would
need to be translated by a Samba3 VFS module.

In contrast the translation will only happen once per SMB request with
a Samba4 NTVFS module.

The two approaches are completely different really, and if you tried
to initially implement this in Samba3 then port to Samba4 you'd end up
with a mess.

Cheers, Tridge