secrets.tdb - byte order independent? (SPARC/INTEL)

Paul Griffith paulg at cs.yorku.ca
Mon Mar 8 17:39:17 GMT 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 03:48, Paul Griffith wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am trying to run Samba in parallel on two platforms, namely
> > Solaris/SPARC and Linux/Intel. Each platform have it's own natively
> > complied binaries, but they share the same config directory.
>
> This sounds like you are asking for trouble.  Why should they share a
> config directory?  TDB on NFS is considered a *really* bad idea.

We are in the process of moving our Samba server from Solaris to Linux. On our
Solaris server, the TDB are on the local disk, when we move to Linux the
TDB files will be stored on a NAS device (Linux based). What problems
have you seen with TDB on NFS?

We have a shared config area so we can have all our smb.conf files in one
central backup area. We can then have one smb.conf like this:

[global]
config file = /local/share/samba/smb.conf.%h

We then have our different smb.conf.<HOSTNAME> files in the same
directory.

> > Now when I start the smbd and nmbd binaries on Linux/Intel it will
> > recreate the secrets.tdb file. So the question is since secrets.tdb is a
> > binary file doesn Samba do anything internally to keep the file byte order
> > independent?
> >
> > Can I convert the Solaris generated secrets.tdb to a format that is usable
> > on Linux/Intel. It would be a **ROYAL** pain to have each PC rejoin our
> > domain just because of one file.
>
> TDB *should* be able to be transported, but I don't think it gets tested
> much.  I think we still have some 'unpacked' data structures in our TDB.
> > If you need any more info please let me know.

Any other ideas for moving TDB. If I extract the SID can I somehow inject
that into the new secrets.tdb file?  What about putting the SID into a
MACHINE.SID file and having Samba migrate the SID from MACHINE.SID to
secrets.tdb ?

What we will do to avoid work ;-)

> > We are running Samba v2.2.8a
>
> You should upgrade to 3.0.2a, if you want to run a PDC.  (3.0 supports
> these things much better)

We have modifed passdb to intergrate with our home grown password system,
so we are taking our time to move to the Samba 3 line.

> Andrew Bartlett

Thanks
Paul

--
Paul Griffith     | York University, Dept. of Computer Science CSB1003A
CS Technical Team | 4700 Keele Street,Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3