Problem with Samba/Wins and IIS

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Fri Jun 18 15:37:04 GMT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Dang.
>
> We handle <1C> names generically as "Internet Group" names.  I have no
> idea if/how this will impact IIS.  I have to assume that WINS does some
> sort of special handling for the NET~SERVICES#1c name.
>
> I'll have to think about this.

I've seen this behavior.

I don't have all the info at my fingertips, but if I recall correctly,
the problem is a side effect of nmbd not ignoring an error that a
Windows WINS server ignores. Something like:
 DC: I'd like to reregister NET~SERVICES#1c
 WINS: You can't, you're not in that list yet
 DC: Oh well, I won't bother to register my domain then

Again, details elude me at the moment, but the situation is similar to
(but different from!) the issue in bug 1079. Getting to the bottom of
this one, and the issue that stale IPs do not get removed from 1C
records, is still on my todo list.

Someone (Gerald?) mentioned that he was planning to write a small tool
to format and send registration requests to make simulating these
scenarios easier, and I was sort of waiting for that to avoid duplicate
work.

Cheers,

				-- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis -- driehuis at playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!