Interpreting desktop.ini

Dirk Müller dim at sgi.com
Tue Jan 27 14:16:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm coping with the interpretation of the desktop.ini on samba shares,
as I have an application, which requests these desktop.ini files to
alter the folder-icon (besides the windows explorer). I've seen in
the archive many posts how to avoid accessing these files, I now
am in the situation, in which i need the desktop.ini files interpreted:

In every subdirectory a desktop.ini file is created by the application,
a text file with the following content:
 [.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={79BC0345-1015-11D2-A299-006008312725}

This changes the actual folder icon in windows explorer on the local
filesystem and on drives shared by windows servers, but there's no
change on a samba share. After I've parsed the SMB-commands with
ethereal I've seen, that the existence of the desktop.ini is not
checked in every directory at all. The windows explorer seems to
know somehow, which directories to check for an desktop.ini and
which not. Since the sub-directories on the samba share aren't
checked at all (except the root directory, where the share is
mounted), there has to be a difference...

My environment is the following: I have a samba server running 2.2.8
with the following parameters:
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        os level = 64
        [comment, log levels etc.]
[clips]
        comment = clips %v
        path = /clips/projects
        read only = No
        Browsable = Yes
        force create mode = 0660
        force directory mode = 0660

Connected to it is a WinXP machine with Pinnacle Editing-Software.

Since this is not entirely a samba problem, I'd like to know,
if anybody in this list has experience how desktop.inis are handled
generally or especially within samba. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
        Dirk