Linux kernel 2.6 smbfs bugs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 18:35:59 GMT 2004

> I think that Mike was thinking about issues with the NBT layer,
I had also assumed the requirement to add support for simple NBT name
resolution (not just the additional backlevel cifs infolevels needed to
access NT4 and Win9x servers.  As Mike seems to be saying it would be easy
to fix (a few days work at most to get the basics working).

> I'd love to have a proper NBT layer that could
> be used by third-party programs to
> register/deregister names, offer
> additional services, etc.

Interesting idea.   Do you want ioctls to "add" rfc1001 names?  I was
assuming that this would simply be a mount option (there already is such a
parm recognized by the cifs vfs kernel code but not used yet).    windows
and a few other OSs apparently keep the list of netbios names in kernel for
use by the user space Netbios API, but I didn't think Linux apps would like
that approach.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com