Linux kernel 2.6 smbfs bugs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Jan 13 18:00:56 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:25:04AM -0600, Steven French wrote:
:
> > I understand that limiting the scope of CIFS
> > VFS server support makes the code simpler.  At
> > the same time, NT and Win9x all speak the
> > "NT LM 0.12" dialect.  I think that a single
> > dialect is a reasonable quanta.
>
> I don't disagree.   It is probably a reasonable time to make the small
> changes to get the cifs vfs working with all NTLM 012 dialect servers
> (Win98/ME and NT 4 in particular) not just Windows 2000 and above, Samba,
> NetApp etc.   I have done some experiments already - it won't be too hard.

I think that Mike was thinking about issues with the NBT layer, rather
than the handling of a (very wide) dialect.

On thinking about it, I think that he is right that an SMB client does not
need to do much more than send name and node status queries in order to
find the services it wants.

Kind of a shame, really.  I'd love to have a proper NBT layer that could
be used by third-party programs to register/deregister names, offer
additional services, etc.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org