Problem with Windows clients on Mac OSX Server

John Gerth gerth-samba at graphics.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 22 21:02:28 GMT 2004

Ron dotCom wrote:

> Steve,
> Please repost at
> http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/macos-x-server

  It's been heavily discussed on that list with no resolution.  I suggested to Steve
  that he post here because this problem is pretty esoteric, not necessarily
  specific to Apple's Samba (now 3.0.5-based).  As I understand it, most of Apple's
  changes were to in the area of authentication.   Steve's problem is occuring
  after successful authentication during access to a share.

  I had a very similar problem here a month ago which turned out to not be Samba's
  fault, but rather it was due to a problem on the client caused by upgrading XP to SP2
  when SpySweeper was installed.  Uninstalling SpySweeper and reinstalling it fixed
  all our clients, but Steve says that  SpySweeper or kindred anti-virus, anti-spyware
  products are not involved on his machines.  He does believe the Windows clients are at fault.
  The working hypothesis is that its sending over a bogus request so he is looking for a way to
  prove that and perhaps figure out what's wrong.

  The level 10 debug log he posted does show a clear difference in success vs.
  failure. What's not clear is what the difference says about the requests the
  client sent.