12, not 8 char limit in testparm?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Sep 15 16:02:59 GMT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:15:05AM -0400, David Collier-Brown -- Customer Engineering wrote:
>   It's indeed an error, and so should be fixed while
> the older client programs are still in existance.
> If we know what the clients were, that should be
> mentioned in the message...

Basically, systems that are capable of making RPC calls can use the
NetrShareEnum() call (note the 'r' after Net).  NetrShareEnum() can return
sharenames longer than 12 characters, but the older NetShareEnum() RAP
call (no 'r') is limited to 12.

So, that means:
- W/9x, W/Me, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0 cannot read names longer
  than 12 bytes.
- W/NT4, W2k, W2k3, and W/XP-pro can use the RPC call and read long share
  names.

I don't know about XP-home or NT3.51 or suchlike.

Chris -)-----

PS.  I'll change the code in Head and 3.0.  Should the 2.2.x tree be
     touched or is that in stasis?

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org